Living Off the Nile

Concern

January 28th, 2011 by asmetana · 1 Comment

I am very concerned for the people protesting for their freedom, voices, and future in Egypt.

The internet has been cut off nation wide,¬† some landlines are down, Egypt’s interior ministry has said it will take “decisive measures” . I have know clue what the government will do, but it will be very violent, ending in unnecessary injuries and probably death, unless all protesters are too afraid to make it to the streets, but I find that unlikely. This moment has 30 years of build up behind it. Whatever happens, it will be very difficult for the events to be shared with the world.

In an article written for the NYT by Curt Hopkins, the following disconcerting words were  written.

“CNN’s Ben Wedeman commented, “No internet, no SMS, what is next? Mobile phones and land lines? So much for stability” and asked “Will #Egypt totally cut communications with the outside world?”

That depends, I think, on whether the idea now is to disrupt communications between groups of protesters or to lay a blackout curtain across Egypt to mask a total crackdown. As many as eight protesters, three in Cairo and five in Suez, have been killed, along with one policeman. I think if landlines and mobile go, the question must become, is the Egyptian government planning a wholesale massacre?”

Will the love of power over a country really be so much greater than the love of its citizens?

There are two ways to control a county, one through forceful coercion and the other through ideology. When a “democracy” needs to use violent force against its people, it needs to reevaluate its definition, intentions, and relation with its people. Their voice cannot be brushed aside.

Tags: Uncategorized

1 response so far ↓

• Justin Mattos // Jan 28th 2011 at 4:25 pm

I share your concern. Controlling a country is a very sophisticated business. People can have no shame.