Living Off the Nile

“Get up and flee to Egypt”

December 27th, 2010 by asmetana · 3 Comments

December 26, I go to church with my family and as I pick up the booklet for the service, I can’t help but feel as though it is speaking to me. “Get up and flee to Egypt” Mathew 2:13. Not that I necessarily want to “flee”, but I do want to return to Egypt. Leaving was so difficult. I felt so unsatisfied, there were so many things I still wanted to do and see, and so many people I did not get to say good bye to properly, if at all. Throughout the entire drive to the airport, I was secretly wishing I would miss my plane so that I could spend just a little bit more time in Cairo.

I was unsatisfied too since I did not have a proper good bye to Cairo. I spent the last three days in Port Said at my friend’s place and returned to Cairo just a few hours before I needed to head to the air port. I spent those last moments buying last minute gifts and packing, and not in a quiet farewell which I would have preferred.

Despite those rushed final moments, I would not want to end my time in Egypt differently since I had a great time in Port Said and got a real Egyptian family experience for a few days. Her family was so big and warm, by the time I left I felt as though I was already apart of them.

I will return to see them someday. It is already predestined. My friend’s mom had made us fried fish and smoked fish for lunch (even though it was almost 5pm). As we were eating, she told me a common saying in Port Said. “Those that drink water from the Nile return to Egypt, and those that eat fish from Port Said, return to Port Said”. So I have no choice but to come back, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I am sorry that I haven’t kept up with my plan to post something everyday. The last week I rarely was in my room and on the computer even less. I will continue to add a few more posts about Egypt and upload more photos in the next days, or weeks, so keep checking back every once and awhile 🙂

Tags: Uncategorized

3 responses so far ↓

• Sylvia Sierra // Dec 27th 2010 at 9:09 pm

Wow Amy I had no idea that you went to Egypt! I read some of your blog posts which I happened to come across on UMW’s website, and it looks like you had an amazing time! I hope to see hear from you or see you soon!

• Justin Mattos // Dec 28th 2010 at 3:26 am

Me siento lo mismo acerca del Pais Vasco y Paris. Es bueno que te disfrutes en Cairo.

• Elisa // Jan 3rd 2011 at 3:04 am

Leaving is hard, no matter what. I felt the same way, that it seemed to sneak up before I knew it.

Happy new year & here’s to lots more great traveling in 2011!