Living Off the Nile

Brrr!

December 12th, 2010 by asmetana · 5 Comments

Whoever said Egypt is never cold is a liar. It is freezing here today. Walking through campus in my winter coat, I confront a bitterly cold and harsh wind. I feel like I’m walking through ice water. No one stays outside longer then necessary, so the campus is eerily empty between classes since people normally congregate in groups scattered all over the place outside.

It is 57 degrees Fahrenheit in Cairo right now and New Cairo, where the campus is, is colder still. I’m sure all the people in the States reading this now are laughing, since its at least 30 degrees warmer here and I’m being spoiled in comparably warm weather. I don’t know how I’m going to adjust to the temperature when I return home.

On another weather related note, there is a sand storm today. Everything is a brownish-yellow color. I feel like I’m in a movie depicting a future dystopia, with a dreary, polluted sky, run-down and decrepit buildings, and people scurrying about with heads bowed, just trying to make it through the day. Everything is the same color, brown, or some close relative, yellow, tan, beige, faded and dusty. Even the leaves on trees are coated in dust, appearing as though they have been left in an attic for too long.

Tags: Uncategorized

5 responses so far ↓

• Elisa // Dec 12th 2010 at 10:35 pm

Ha! 57 degrees sounds practically tropical right now! We’re supposed to have wind chills below zero tomorrow plus freezing rain/snow (I hope it’s snow!). On the other hand, I know57 would feel cold if it’s been warmer there for a while.

Anyway, I can’t believe you’re coming home so soon! How long will you be home, or when do you leave for Peru?

I liked your post on your dad’s visit. It’s always neat to see things with new eyes & a different perspective, & it was interesting to read that too.

• asmetana // Dec 15th 2010 at 8:55 pm

Cold cold COLD!

I will be home for about a month before Peru 🙂

• chaaarle // Dec 13th 2010 at 2:21 pm

funny you say sandstorm. it was like a sandstorm here but with snow. not like a snowstorm though. the snow was really powdery and the wind was making little dunes all over the place.

i’m taking finals this week! i don’t know why i excitedly told you that!

• asmetana // Dec 15th 2010 at 8:56 pm

I love snow dunes 🙂 And sandstorms of snow are better than those of sand, since the sandy ones hurt the eyes 🙁

Good luck with finals!

• Justin Mattos // Dec 13th 2010 at 4:05 pm

It just snowed in Richmond last night/this morning! Thankfully, it isn’t cold enough to stick to the roads and sidewalks or else I would have to do some shoveling. Maybe you should go straight from Egypt to Peru?