Living Off the Nile

I Made It!

August 26th, 2010 by asmetana · 5 Comments

Hello Everyone!

I have landed safely in Egypt and moved into my dorm last night. All of my fellow International AUC students have been very friendly and so far no big mishaps have occurred. I met my roommate last night, but she won’t move in until Saturday.  She is Egyptian, but she has been living in Kuwait most of her life. I am really excited to be rooming with her.

Even though I have not seen much yet, I’m definitely in the “honeymoon” phase of culture shock. Driving to the dorm form the airport the sun was setting, making everything glow. Everything seemed so beautiful, regardless of its architecture or age. Last night the RA’s took us to get money exchanged, to get phones, and to shop. Walking through the streets at night was peaceful and there was more vegetation than I expected. We looked like major tourists in the grocery store, looking at normal, everyday objects in awe, trying to decipher what was written on them, and walking around in giant clumps.

Today the RA’s are taking us to Old Cairo and I will hopefully find a plug adapter (the one I brought does not work, it’s too fat).

Ma’a salama!

Tags: Uncategorized

5 responses so far ↓

• Nancy Babel // Aug 26th 2010 at 9:21 pm

Enjoy! I can’t wait to hear more. You will learn so much and have so much to share. I hope you’ll visit Hillcrest when you return and talk to the students about Egypt.

• asmetana // Aug 26th 2010 at 9:27 pm

Thanks! I would love to return and talk to them! 🙂

• RS // Aug 26th 2010 at 10:12 pm

Chica. I’m so excited for your Egyptian affairs. Try and post as many pictures as possible please!

JazakAllah,

Rameya

• Reverend // Aug 27th 2010 at 9:59 am

Very cool, looking forward to your ongoing thoughts here. And hope images and video find there way into the narrative as well.

• Elisa // Aug 27th 2010 at 2:57 pm

glad you made it safely! And it’s exciting you get to have an Egyptian roommate. How’s the Arabic going? I can’t wait to read more!